Tuesday, January 10, 2012

foot update!




August 24, 2011

hey family, i'm really sorry i wasn't able to email you yesterday like i thought i would. we went to the library after transfers but there wasn't enough time for me to send an email out because i had to wait for a free computer and we had an appointment to make.

but here's the update. so i went into the doctor yesterday. bro chukwurah is our ward mission leader so that was nice being able to set up with him real quick. so elder p and i went to the hospital where his office is. i went to the x-ray office and they wanted to see if anything was inside my foot causing the infection. i mentioned in the last email that i thought i saw something the night before in the cut. well....there was definitely something in there. turns out there was (what looks like) a piece of copper wire, probably from an old coat hanger. it was about two inches long. insane. i guess i was walking around with that in my foot for about 3 weeks, i had no idea. so back in his office he ended up numbing my foot with some anesthetic, and then he made some incisions, about a cm long. i was awake for the whole thing, i couldn't feel any pain but it was sort of trippy being conscious for that. and once they made the cut big enough they pulled out the piece of metal. so as you could imagine, taking that out of my foot made a huge difference. immediately i could walk on my foot without crutches. and he wrapped my foot in some dressings, gave me a surgical shoe, told me to take it easy, gave me a prescription for another week's worth of the same antibiotics, and some ibuprofen if needed. i went in again today for him to follow up and he said it's coming along great. at this point i'm just waiting for the wound to heal. he didn't give me stitches or anything so i'm just waiting for it to close. things are good to go. and i really am taking it easy too, don't worry. we're not going out as often and spending more time at the apartment with my foot elevated.

as far as transfers go, president had me and elder p stay at home instead of coming to the meeting so i could get some rest. the hunsakers went and picked up elder p's new companion and brought him back to us. so the three of us are in a trio for a few days in roseville until i can get the ok from the doc to go to my new area. the new roseville missionary is someone who was in my MTC district so that's pretty fun. and my new area is called burton. it's by flint if anyone knows where that is. about an hour and a half north of here. my companion up there is in a trio with a different area waiting for me to come up. i don't know him but from what i hear he's cool and president says the area is great. i don't have the new address for the area so i'll put that in the email next week, i'm guessing i'll be up in burton in just a couple of days at the very latest.

so things are good, definitely on the up and up. i still don't understand how the metal ended up in my foot. i thought it was the nut cracker only because that was right there on the scene, i thought it had just hit the top of my foot hard enough to break skin and that the cut got infected by germs. turns out the lawn mower ran over a wire hanger or something and shot a piece of it through my shoe and up into my foot. i found a tiny hole in my shoe that the metal must have gone through, but i didn't notice it at first. it still seems like the odds are pretty stacked against the wire going through that hole and into where it penetrated, but it's the closest thing that adds up. that's what i get for trying to be wolverine, i should just stick to the hands next time. but really things are good, i'll keep taking it easy and follow the doctor's instructions. i'll definitely keep you posted. i'll also put some pics on real quick so you can get some good visuals.

the first pic is of my foot about a week after the injury, i just thought it was swollen at the time, didn't know there was a piece of metal in there because it was swollen. the next is of a blood blister that formed around the wound, not that serious just kind of gross to look at. the third is what my foot looks like now in my new surgical boot, not as comfy as ecco's but the velcro straps are stylin. the next one is of the piece of metal on my other foot about where it was underneath the skin. the last one is just another pic of the metal.

really crazy, i still can't believe i was walking around with that in my foot for three weeks. but things are good now, just healing. and i got a ton of help and care from the hunsakers. they're awesome. elder p and the two podiatrists in the ward and president and sister holmes helped out a lot too. so i was being taken care of, just some mix-ups with the whole process i guess. whatever, it's all good now. so that's the update, time to go. i'll talk to you again on monday. prob from the new area up in burton. 

have good weekend, love ya

No comments:

Post a Comment